Read Write Inc
At Preston Grange Primary School we use the highly successful Read, Write Inc. scheme to give your child the best possible start with their reading. Read Write Inc. is a phonics based Literacy programme which teaches children to read accurately and fluently, so that they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling.
Read, Write Inc. is a synthetic phonic programme devised by Ruth Miskin, a leading educationalist in this field. It is an inclusive Literacy programme for all children learning to read and write. The programme is designed for Reception and Key Stage 1 children; however we continue to teach the Read, Write Inc. programme to children in Key Stage 2 if they still need support in their reading.
Children are assessed on a half termly basis, resulting in quick progress. This also ensures that children are always receiving teaching that is relevant to their abilities. We deliver the programme 4 times a week in 40 minute sessions, on top of daily, in class Literacy lessons.
Read, Write Inc. (RWI) is a method of learning based upon letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading, writing and talking.
When using RWI to read children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/ letter groups using simple prompts
- Learn to read words using sound blending (Fred talk)
- Read lively stories featuring words that they have learnt to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering ‘Find it’ and ‘Prove it’ questions.
When using RWI to write children will:
- Learn to write the letter/ letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- Learn to write words saying the sounds and graphemes (Fred fingers)
When using RWI the children will also work in pairs:
- To answer questions
- To take turns and listening to each other
- To give each other positive praise
When children have completed the Read, Write Inc. phonics scheme, they may move onto the RWI comprehension scheme. This aims to improve children’s writing by developing their vocabulary, grammar and spelling.
More information on the Read, Write Inc. scheme, as well as examples videos, can be found at: https://ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents.
A video overview of the programme can also be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6dSsXkD1wM